Long term treatment experiences

As I am one of the firsts that treated the disease with ivermectin (including Soolantra), you might have read already that I was fully clear after one month. After two months of taking Soolantra I stopped.

The bad news are that after around four months not taking Soolantra anymore (middle of Dec 2015) I had a new lesion again. Therefore, I went to my doctor the next day and we agreed that I take Soolantra continuously from now on. Since then, I am lesion free, again.

I think the number of demodex grew again after I stopped using the cream anymore. So unfortunately, the mites can come back even after I rather “small” time.

Feel free to share your long term experiences. In contrast to me, firstman reported at the other forum that he did not experiences any come back in the first months, so the experiences might be different for different people.

It is difficult to fully eradicate demodex with a topical cream such as Soolantra. In my case, using my skin microscope, I couldn’t detect demodex on the face anymore after using Soolantra for some time, but I did detect demodex on my scalp, were I didn’t apply the cream.
And even if Soolantra would fully eradicate demodex, it would came back via skin-to-skin contact with other people (and possibly even via indirect contact such as a hand towel) or cats/dogs. Above a certain age, almost 100% of the people carries demodex.

Assuming that demodex plays a role, a question also is whether is it demodex by itself that is causing the problems or the bacteria it may carry.
I also wonder how long the anti-inflammatory properties of Soolantra may last on the skin after stopping with it. I assume it would be something like a few days to a week, if it would be weeks to months, than the problem may not be demodex related at all.

I will most likely begin using Soolantra next week. I know I have to allow myself some time for possible die-off reaction, but what were your experiences when starting this cream? Anything you can recommend or warn me about?

I experienced a slight improvement in the first week, a die off reaction in the second week, and great third week and only a very small die off reaction in the forth week. From the fifth week on no more oozing.

I wish you the best for your treatment and keep us updated how it works out for you.

I started with Soolantra at a peak outbreak due to topical steroid withdrawal. I noticed quick reduction in itch and a relative quick improvement. I didn’t really noticed a clear die-off outbreak, but that may be because I already had an outbreak.

Some people from the Rosacea Group forum do get red irritated skin from Soolantra, so you may want to experiment with a small part of the face, or maybe on the arm first. But that may also be because they have rosacea.

I’ve got a question…
I will certainly start soon the full treatment and I will like to know if moisturizer cream is still needed when using soolantra ?

Soolantra itself contains Cetaphil moisturizer as its base, so I don’t think you would need an additional moisturizer.

@anymnoo how’s your skin now? Still on the Soolantra?

So the condition remained in the last months. I am still on Soolantra and experience outbreaks very rarely (every two-three month) and only one lesion. However, there are sometimes very small spots that do not ooze but they remain, even after months of taking Soolantra.

Today, I got a new spot, the last one was long time ago, however, it reminds me on bad times where I couldn’t get rid of it.
I was not able to find any triggers for the outbreaks, actually I have the feeling it is simply a cycle where intensity varies a lot.

I’m in the same situation, although I’m not really using Soolantra anymore since last December.
I get new lesions about 2 a 3 per month, but often barely noticable. Got a small one yesterday on my nose…
Couldn’t really point a trigger… But it did apply some Soolantra on the area afterwards, just in case it gets back…

In my case I don’t see it as a cycle/wave, but more as a chance. The problem is still there (whatever it is), but the chance of getting it is somehow lower than it was before (December 2015).