I’m not alone?!?!

I’ve had oozing crusts for the last 10 years. I’ve never found any information about it and every doctor diagnoses me with acne. I’ve always thought it was a strange type of impetigo that just doesn’t go away but I also wasn’t sure. I accidentally stumbled across this website while searching for images to try and identify my disease again and I’m absolutely floored! I thought I was the only one going through this!!! Thank you all for existing and I’m sorry we all have to go through this.

I should also mention it started out on one part of my face. It was only one spot that came up repeatedly. Over the years it has spread to all my cheeks and even chin.

I’ve personally found that Azelaic acid has helped reduce the severity of my oozing. Instead of 1cm+ sizes lesions I get 1-3mm sized ones.

I’ve also been trying out differin (retinoid) has anyone found success with retinoids?

I’m also interested in soolantra but am worried about causing some kind of resistance and making this totally unmanageable. Does anyone have info on this?

Thank you all!

1 Like

Hi DubType, welcome on the forum :slight_smile:

There isn’t much written about Azelaic acid (for example in product Finacea) nor about retinoids on this forum. So I cannot comment on that.

About Soolantra and Resistance, I found this: Topical Ivermectin in the Treatment of Papulopustular Rosacea: A Systematic Review of Evidence and Clinical Guideline Recommendations - PMC

While parasitic resistance to ivermectin has been reported in nematodes after extensive veterinary use, this has not been reported for Demodex mites in rosacea and seems unlikely [5]. Although relapse with ivermectin might be less frequent compared with non-acaricidal treatments, the results of the extension study cannot be considered conclusive [26]. Therefore, this remains to be proven in a randomized controlled clinical trial.

If I had to make a guess, then I would expect ivermectin for parasites not to be as resistance sensitive as antibiotics for bacteria. Bacteria multiply quicker and are single celled, whereas demodex is multi celled. So I would expect that it would be easier for bacteria to build resistance, than for demodex. But that’s just a guess.

In my case, I used Soolantra to clear me for like 95%. Then I used Sudocrem for a few days, and I have no oozing lesons since then, and I don’t have to use Soolantra anymore.
Maybe I do have lesions without the oozing part, but not sure if that is the same thing. But I manage that with a benzoyl peroxide cream and a moisturizer.

Thanks so much for your reply! This is the paper I stumbled across when trying to search for resistance however, unlikely doesn’t mean impossible so I was hoping for a more definitive answer.

Oh and Azelaic acid has been shown to have an effect on demodex mites but I assume it isn’t as effective as people here are saying for soolantra. In order to avoid resistance I would imagine using combination therapy of Azelaic acid and soolantra will lower the risk of resistance. I have used finacea and Azclear (I’m from Australia).

Can I ask how exactly you used these two products? Did you use soolantra daily for a few months then switch to sudocrem? And how do you use the sudocrem? Do you just apply it overnight or for a few hours, etc?

I’m happy you found us. Your suffering is about to end. Get Soolantra as soon as possible. It will take 2-3 weeks for your skin to adjust, then you’ll be cured. Welcome to the family.

I don’t know if all topical medications can be safely combined when using them on the face together. But a pharmacist should know when they provide it.

Note that Soolantra can give a temporary breakout, so you may want to start slowly with it if your going to start with it. Here’s some more info about a breakout. Bad first reaction

I’m not sure how much days I used Sudocrem. I should have written more about it on this forum when I used it. Here is some more info about Sudocrem: Sudocrem saved me!

It’s a horrible product in usage, the way I used it. I used a thick layer of Sudocrem all over my face. Which basically functions as a 100% physical sunscreen. So you cannot go in public with this amount, because it looks like you put your face in a bucket of white paint. Some people did go outside with Sudocrem if I recall correctly. They probably used a far less amount on the face. But even with a small amount, I think my face would look unnaturally white, like there is some paint on it, so I don’t understand how they did it.

I think I used Sudocrem only during the day, and washed it off at night to use Soolantra. I used it for maybe 3 days to one week. (Hard to remember.) During these days, I stayed home.
Sudocrem does irritate my skin the longer I use it, by making it redder, with a slight burning irritating feeling, and by clogging pores, causing some acne.
If your going to use it at night, then it may cause problems for the pillow when you try to wash it and it may get into your hairs. Unlike other skin products, Sudocrem doesn’t dissolvein in water. So it’s difficult to wash off the face and clothing. I used a paper towel to wipe some amount off my face, followed by a face wash product to get more off my face. Even then, a small layer may be left on the face, which may give a slightly white layer appearance.

There aren’t much people on this forum that tried Sudocrem. But most of those that tried it, did find positive results.

Thank you so much! I just can’t believe I’ve never found this website before. I’ve been searching for YEARS online to try find a diagnosis! I’ve made an Dr’s appointment for tomorrow afternoon. I’m so excited to see if this will work!

I believe it should be ok if you stagger application for eg. Azelaic acid in the morning and soolantra in the evening. This is how you generally combine incompatible topicals in dermatology. I will ask my doctor in any case!

As for removing sudocrem, I can envision it is like using a 100% physical sunscreen. In which case using an oil cleanser will help you remove the product 100%. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of this, but if you search up double cleanse or oil cleanse on the internet you should be able to find information about how to do it! I hope this helps someone. :slight_smile:

You can read a few different things on this site, but don’t overdo it. Or you won’t know which one works and you might be using two products when you only need one. Sudo fixed Tso nice and well, but it didn’t do the trick for me. I use Soolantra every three days, and just a little bit. Since Corona, I’ve barely used it at all, because the problem stopped when I stopped washing my face daily thanks to being lazy and it being Corona. But now that I’m back working two jobs and showering daily, I use Soolantra at night, every 2 or 3 days. All I do is put it between my eyebrows-in that small area- and that’s the end of yellow days for me, buddy!

I haven’t heard of an oil cleanser, I’ll try it the next time.

Thank you for adding the photos in the photo topic.

I was wondering, at which areas of the face do you get the lesions?

You mentioned in the first post that you already have this for the last 10 years, which is pretty long. How often do you get new lesions?
Most people on this forum are between 20 and 50, if I would have to estimate. At what age did yours start, if I may ask?

Oil cleansing will help dissolve the zinc oxide and will help remove it fully! It’s a known technique in the skincare community to remove waterproof sunscreen!

I get them on my cheeks up to my temples and around my mouth and on my chin. It started as one recurring lesion on my right cheek and has spread significantly since then, as you saw in my photos.

My first outbreak was when I was about 13/14 I’m currently 24. I’ve started to get new ones multiple times a week but since I started using Azelaic acid they do not ooze nearly as much as they used to.

I purchased soolantra today and will start using it tonight!