Ivermectin for horses/animals

Because it a bit unclear where to find information about this on this forum. I decided to start a new topic about it and move an existing topic underneath it. So that I can later add more general info to this first top post.

Soolantra (designed for humans with Rosacea) basically contains ivermectin (the active ingredient) and a moisturizer from Cetaphil as its base.
A problem with Soolantra is that it can be very expensive. (Price can differ widely per country.) Also, Soolantra isn’t available in every country, and you need a prescription for it.
Oral forms of ivermectin (available in pill form) designed for humans, already existed long before Soolantra. It is probably cheaper than Soolantra, but oral forms are probably less effective and probably shouldn’t be taken continously. So it’s probably not recommended to use an oral form of ivermectin. Also it is difficult to apply a pill form directly on your face as a topical.

But there are also ivermectin forms available for horses/animals. These are available in liquid and in paste form. The liquid form is designed to be injected via the skin of animals (with a needle). (Don’t inject it into your own skin!) And the paste form is designed to be used orally for animals. (Don’t take this orally yourself!)
Even though these forms are designed for animals, it is possible to apply it to your face topically. It’s probably recommended to use Soolantra because it’s designed for humans and therefor safer and correcter to use, but the animal version may be a lot cheaper and easily availble without prescription.

I haven’t seen anyone mention whether theirs is spreading or not. Mine spreads, especially to nearby areas. I have a cluster of 3 all on my cheek right now. I am trying to figure out if I have The Disease
I’ve been on antibiotics for 2.5 months- 2 weeks cephalex, 4 weeks doxy, 4 weeks septra. Nothing is working.
Tried also all of the home remedies listed here
I have been getting these weeping lesions that end in a yellow honeycomb (or a little orange crystal if its a smaller one) since 2011, but it always goes away after 2 weeks or so. But now, I have had it for almost 4 months, with no signs of it going away.
I also bought bamboo and silver pillowcases because they are antimicrobial
Heres an older picture of one lesion I had

Welcome on the forum!
In my case, I’m not sure whether it spreads or whether there is another reason why lesions are often close together.
Doxy did nothing for me, I took it for about one month, but amoxicillin/clavulanic acid (which is also an oral anti biotic) did clear my skin while using it (for about one week), but it comes back when stopping with it.

I also tried hygienic pillow usage: 1) wash it at a temperature of at least 60C/140F (kills bacteria and dustmites) or preferably higher because not all washing machines reach the set temperature, 2) and immediately dry it afterwards, preferably in a drier (also kills bacteria and dustmites), and 3) change the pillow daily, 4) preferably use two pillow covers as an extra layer to prevent bacteria build up in the pillow itself. Not sure if it helped at all.

But there is a topical solution that you should really give a try: Soolantra (also called Rosiver in some countries) (contains topical ivermectin). Multiple users here, including me, got very good results from it. Have a look here for some info: Soolantra Half year on soolantra The Best treatment
It’s available on prescription, it may be expensive, but definately worth trying. Soolantra is normally used to treat rosacea (skin disease), but it seems to work great for all users here that tried it.

Hi! Welcome to the forum. I did feel like mine spread from place to place. It seemed like it would start clearing up in one area and pop up in a another pretty nearby. I’m happy to say that I have not had a real out break in several months. I suffered with this for at least 15 years.
This is how I treated my self after extensive online research. This worked for me.

• I bought some Ivermectin on Amazon. (The kind used for animals) I applied this to my face before I went to bed everyday for about a week. Not a lot. Just enough to lightly cover my face. I only used this for short time and have not used it again.
    *I started washing my face at least twice a day with The Body Shop Tea Tree face wash.
    *Once per day I would combine that with a dash of baking soda to scrub with. I believe exfoliation is key to this.
    *after washing I would moisturizer with First Aid Ultra Healing lotion mixed with 1 or 2 drops tea tree oil.
  • I take Diamond Herpanacine (3 capsules) everyday.

Now I have to say during this initial treatment week my skin was definitely reacting to something. I believe it was Demodex die off. Then…it cleared!!! I’m leary of saying that I’m cured because I don’t want to jinx myself but these disgusting things have not come back. I may have one or two tiny little outbreaks that never really amounted too anything. Like I said before I suffered with this for over 15 years and I tried everything. I hope you find relief. I know how bad this sucks.

So is Soolantra/Rosiver the same as the invermectin cream for animals on Amazon?

I used the Ivermectin liquid. I have no idea what the difference is between the human form and the animal form. Maybe strength. I heard about this on the rosacea forum.

@Dm78 Did you use the topical ivermectin only for one week?

@p1r473 Soolantra/Rosiver is made/marketed for humans. It contains ivermectin (the active ingredient) and a moisturizer (Cetaphil) as its base. Ivermectin for animals comes in different forms:
Liquid injections:

https://animart.com/store/ivomec-plus/
(Don’t inject it, use it topically.)

Paste form:
https://www.amazon.com/Ivermectin-Paste-Dewormer-6-08g-Flavor/dp/B000HHLWPI/

Concentrations of ivermectin may differ. Soolantra contains 10mg/gr, so then the paste form may be 1.87 times as strong for the same weighted amount of topical.
One Soolantra tube contains enough for about 3 months for me, but some users are able to use it much longer by applying less.

This is the Rosacea forum Dm78 mentioned:
https://www.google.com/webhp#q=site:rosaceagroup.org+ivomec

It sounds like the animal stuff stronger, cheaper, and doesn’t require a prescription.
Is this a good alternative to Soolantra?

I see they ship to Canada. Which would you recommend, Soolantra, 1.87% apple, Nustock, or Ivomec?

If I recalll correctly I used it for about a week straight then maybe every two or three days for the next couple of week. I’m sorry I can’t recall the exact schedule I followed

I ordered Invomec (5mg invermectin) because Amazon can zip it over by Monday. I also ordered the 1.87% paste.
I will try both and post back.

Ivomec looks like a good choice. Because you have a beard, the liquid form may be easier to apply on that area. (I don’t know how thick the paste form is.)
I wouldn’t use the Nustock product, I don’t see ivermectin listed in the ingredients. It does contain Sulfur, which gives an unpleasant smell to the skin that may even take some time before that smell is gone.
Also it may be good to try to avoid Ivomec skin getting in the mouth/lips/eye area, and maybe start with a small amount to see how the skin reacts.

I know you dont have experience with the animal paste or liquid, but can you give me any guidelines on applying invermectin like
Where?
When?
How often?
Etc… thanks!

Just got my invomec pour on in the mail and gonna try and just put a bit on my face now

I survived my first cattle invomec pour on treatment
It was a blue liquid. It seemed very similar to when I use rubbing alcohol (same smell, fumes in eyes, hard to breathe for a few seconds if the fumes get in your mouth). In fact Id be very surprised if it didnt have rubbing alcohol in it.

I poured it into a bowl, dipped some cotton pads in, and applied to my cheeks and beard area.

No stinging (except for directly on the one sore I have now) or any lasting effects.

Hopefully my invermectin paste will come soon.

Dm78 has experience with it.

I would suggest to follow the usage information described here, where possible: http://www.galdermausa.com/pi/soolantrapi.pdf

Note that ivermectin can give a breakout. See also here: Bad first reaction
So maybe it’s best to start slowly. Try a bit on the underarm and wait 1 day to see if the skin tolerates it. Note that even if the skin tolerates it, you can still get a breakout, so start slowly.
Maybe it can be applied with a cotton pad, by first applying a bit of the liquid on a cotton pad, and use the pad on the face.
Soolantra contains ivermectin plus a moisturizer (Cetaphil) as its base. So maybe it’s good to apply a neutral parfum free non comedogenic moisturizer afterwards. (Like Cetaphil or Cerave.)
Apply it on the areas where lesions occured, even if the skin is clear at that moment. Because that is where demodex lives (if demodex is the problem). So you may even use a wider area than that. But start slowly, because you may get a large breakout.
You can apply it once a day. But in the begining it may be better to apply it less frequent because of a possible breakout.
Avoid eye and lips. (Not sure why.)

Btw, you are the first user that I know of that has a beard. Do lesions also occur in the beard area?

I don’t usually have a beard, maybe just some scruff, but was forced to grow it due to not shaving so I wouldn’t spread the disease.
But yea, it grows in the beard area and cheeks for me, which is why I stopped shaving. I also one or two times got a tiny little orange crystal on my nose, and ear lobes.
What I notice is if its a big scab, its yellow, but a small one forms a tiny orange crystalline structure.

I’m happy to report since starting my livestock invermectin stuff, I haven’t had any pustules. So I have been clean for 4 days now. And I am hoping to stays. I even shaved and my face looks great now.

I am noticing that some users have what looks more like a yellow ooze spreading all over their face, where mine is just yellow crusts that ooze. Some users, it looks almost as if the yellow is liquidy on their face, whereas mine is scabby on my face (and the ooze appears clear, unless you catch it with paper tower, and look at it, where it look yellow)

My derma appointment is next week. I think I will ask for Rosiver.

So here is how the treatments were like:
The oral horse paste had the consistency of honey, and spelled of apples. It felt good going on.

The ivomec cattle pour on I think was basically had the base of rubbing alcohol (it smelled of it, and the fumes sting your eyes and if it goes in your mouth or nose, makes it hard to breathe). I would do half the side of my face at a time, so I could close that eye, and breathe out of the corner of the other side of my mouth to avoid the nasty fumes.

I did the liquid 2 a day, and the paste once a day every other day.

Both need to be washed off, the paste stays on forever, and even the liquid stays on your skin somewhat (like an oil stays on your skin)

Should I continue using the liquid/Rosiver forever? Or just when I have an outbreak? And how often?

Its also hard to say whether it was these products, or my Flagyll antibiotic, that worked. All I know is the other antibiotics I tried did nothing.

Here was an old picture from when I was infected.

“Should I continue using the liquid/Rosiver forever? Or just when I have an outbreak? And how often?”
There isn’t much info/data on this. And since the exact cause of the problem is unclear, it is unclear what the best strategy is.

You could for example do this: use it for like a couple of weeks to 2 months, depending on how successful the treatment is. If you still get lesions afterwards on daily/weekly basis, but less than before the treatment, you can continue with it. If you are clean but occasionally get new lesions, you can try to use in on active lesions instead of preventive on a large area of the face.

Also, I wonder whether the users who said that they are clear, are completely 100% clear. For example, it is a difficult to spot very small lesions under low light badroom conditions than when using a bright light led flashlight. Sometimes I get a lesion that is like 1mm in diameter that doesn’t really ooze, and that isn’t visible in bathroom lighting, but I know that this still is the same problem.

About oral metronidazole (Flagyll), yes that could easily do something by itself. Although some info/studies suggest that topical ivermectin may be more effective where applied locally.

How is your skin doing now?

Since using the cattle pour-on the first day, I am completely cleared up. I used it for about 2 weeks, then stopped, and have been clear ever since. I had done Flagyl with it.
I got a prescription for the human version, but havent needed it.
Interested to see what will happen if this comes back. Because I was infected for 3-4 months. Hopefully next time, 1 day infection.

1 Like

He used a topical ivermectin product that is sold as animal medication, which cheaper, non-prescription and more widely available compared to the human version. You should give the human version, Soolantra, a try. It’s working for a lot of people here.

Have a look here for more info:

Also, you may want to apply it slowely, because it may give a bad initial outbreak: